How to choose the best waterproof device for underwater filming
Water is not an obstacle in a digital era. There are a lot of waterproof cameras and monitors which allow users making astonishing images of underwater life. That is why the key question now is not how to film life under water but which criteria to use for better equipment selection. Although there is always a temptation of looking at the price first, professionals recommend using more criteria for selection.
5 criteria to consider for purchasing waterproof device:
- The quality of housing: housing should be both absolutely fitting your device and not allowing any water drop intervening it. Reliable housing ensures that final photo will not blur and that the camera will not damage in an ocean water;
- Usefulness and easiness of operation: Operating camera underwater is much more difficult than making it on the ground. Check whether you can freely press all buttons and easily move housing before you get to a desired depth;
- The white balance feature: Even if you use waterproof lamps or flashes, all your photos will have a blue tone, which is not appropriate for professional photos. Professional cameras and monitors can remove its effect with white manual balance feature;
- The price of this item: Although price shouldn’t be your first criterion, be ready that you will pay much more than for a simple outdoor camera. If users are going to make underwater photos and videos, they should buy right housing, high quality monitor for looking at what they are filming right now, and lighting equipment. Don’t forget this as with higher-priced device you may exceed your budget;
- The volume of your device: Don’t think that it will be easy to dive with heavy camera or monitor. Your device should have a moderate weight so that it will not complicate your way to the sea enduring high pressures of large depths.
Stay attentive to details
If you’ve already chosen a camera satisfying all above mentioned properties – look carefully at its producer. Look at warranty terms so you will not lose money if something goes wrong with your camera. This producer can also offer a bundle consisting of a monitor, camera, lights, and the housing so you will not waste your time and money while searching. And never forget to look on reviews of an item so as to look at it in a more unbiased way.
Although a lot of producers offer a waterproof item for an underwater photo, you will not find any of them in surrounding shops. So the best way is to prepare your credit card, find the right item on the Internet and order it paying online. Even if you are on a trip and you thought why not to film underwater life, the camera will come to you within a couple of days and you won’t need to hold a large amount of cash for your payment.